loading/hle�
(25) Blaðsíða 21 (25) Blaðsíða 21
Supplement to the Antiquitates Americana?. >21 the foundation of the Monastery1 A.D. 1141. Of this structure there is a representation2 given in Tah. IX. Each side is perforated hy an arched doorway, and the exterior angles are formed hy pilasters, on which the See Cisterciensium Annalium autore Angelo Manrique T. I, p. 403—404. — From Louthiana, or an Introduction to tlio Antiquities of Ireland by Thomas Wright, London 1758. From a publication received several years ago from the learned Irish Antiquary George Petrie, the following account of this monastery is extracted: “The Abbey of Mellifont was originally one of the most important and magnificent monastic edifices ever erected in Ireland. It was founded, or endowed, by Donough M'Corvoill, or O’Carriol, prince of Oirgiallach, the present Oriel, A.D. 1111, at the solicitation of St. Malachy, the pious and learned Arch- bishop of Armagh, and was the first Cistercian Abbey erected in Ireland. The monks by whom it was first inhabited were sent over from the parent Monastery of Clairvaux in Champagne, by St. Bernard, and four of them were Irishmen, who had been edu- cated there for the purpose. On the occasion of the consecration of the Church of Mellifont in 1157, a remarkable Synod was held here, which was attended by the primate Gclasius, Christian Bishop of Lismore and apostolic legate, seventeen other bishops, and innumerable clergymen of inferior ranks. There were present also Murcliertach, or Murtogh O’Loghlin, King of Ireland, O’Eochadha, prince ofUlidia, Tiernan O’Ruairc, prince ofBrciffny, and O’Kerbhaill, or O’Carroll, prince of Ergall, or Oriel. Of this important monastic foundation but trifling remains are now to be found, but these arc sufficient evidence of its ancient beauty and splendor. They consist of the ruins of a beautiful little chapel, dedicated to Saint Bernard, which in its perfect state was an ex- quisite specimen of the Gothic, or pointed architecture of the thir- teenth century. This chapel is partly imbedded in the rock, the floor being considerably lower than the outer surface, and consists of a crypt and an upper apartment. Besides this, there is the octagonal building, the style of which indicates an earlier age; and the lofty abbey gateway.
(1) Band
(2) Band
(3) Saurblað
(4) Saurblað
(5) Blaðsíða 1
(6) Blaðsíða 2
(7) Blaðsíða 3
(8) Blaðsíða 4
(9) Blaðsíða 5
(10) Blaðsíða 6
(11) Blaðsíða 7
(12) Blaðsíða 8
(13) Blaðsíða 9
(14) Blaðsíða 10
(15) Blaðsíða 11
(16) Blaðsíða 12
(17) Blaðsíða 13
(18) Blaðsíða 14
(19) Blaðsíða 15
(20) Blaðsíða 16
(21) Blaðsíða 17
(22) Blaðsíða 18
(23) Blaðsíða 19
(24) Blaðsíða 20
(25) Blaðsíða 21
(26) Blaðsíða 22
(27) Blaðsíða 23
(28) Blaðsíða 24
(29) Blaðsíða 25
(30) Blaðsíða 26
(31) Blaðsíða 27
(32) Blaðsíða 28
(33) Mynd
(34) Mynd
(35) Mynd
(36) Mynd
(37) Mynd
(38) Mynd
(39) Mynd
(40) Mynd
(41) Mynd
(42) Mynd
(43) Mynd
(44) Mynd
(45) Mynd
(46) Mynd
(47) Mynd
(48) Mynd
(49) Mynd
(50) Mynd
(51) Saurblað
(52) Saurblað
(53) Band
(54) Band
(55) Kjölur
(56) Framsnið
(57) Kvarði
(58) Litaspjald


Supplement to the Antiquitates Americanæ

Ár
1841
Tungumál
Enska
Efnisorð
Blaðsíður
54